Jul 3, 2019 by Katelynn German
When purchasing a fence for your pool, it’s important to check your local laws and regulations. Requirements will vary depending on location.
BOCA stands for Building Officials & Code Administration.
- Fence must be at least 48 inches tall.
- Minimum space between the first or lowest top rail and bottom rail must be at least 45 inches in length.
- Certain fence styles may have to be taller than 48 inches.
- Spacing between pickets must be less than four inches. A 4-inch sphere cannot fit between pickets.
- Ground clearance from the bottom rail to grade must be less than 4 inches.
- All gates must be equipped with self-closing hardware.
- All gates must be equipped with self-latching hardware.
- All gates must open away from the pool.
- The opening mechanism of the latch must be at least 54 inches above the ground.
Disclaimer: Country Estate® / Country Estate Fence of the South, Inc. is not the author of the Downloadable BOCA PDF.
Disclaimer: Check local laws, regulations, codes and requirements before purchasing a fencing system. REQUIREMENTS WILL VARY DEPENDING ON LOCATION.